“Black Mirror” Returns with More Unsettling Scenarios
Netflix announced on Wednesday the official release date for the sixth season of “Black Mirror,” accompanied by a chilling new trailer. The eagerly awaited series is scheduled to debut on the streaming platform on June 15.
The trailer begins with a glimpse of the first episode, immersing viewers in a disturbing scenario typical of every “Black Mirror” episode— an experience that no subscriber wants to confront.
“Joan is Awful” — A Dark Twist on “The Truman Show”
The first episode, titled “Joan is Awful,” stars “Schitt’s Creek” actress Annie Murphy as Joan, in a dark twist on “The Truman Show.” In this episode, a Netflix replica, “Streamberry” — complete with Netflix’s iconic “ta-dum” sound — releases a TV drama adaptation of Joan’s life, where she is portrayed by Salma Hayek.
Earlier this month, Netflix’s blog Tudum released descriptions for each episode of the upcoming season
- Joan is Awful: An average woman is stunned to discover a global streaming platform has launched a prestige TV drama adaptation of her life — in which she is portrayed by Hollywood A-lister Salma Hayek.
- Loch Henry: A young couple travels to a sleepy Scottish town to start work on a genteel nature documentary — but finds themselves drawn to a juicy local story involving shocking events of the past.
- Beyond the Sea: In an alternative 1969, two men on a high-tech mission grapple with the consequences of an unimaginable tragedy.
- Mazey Day: A troubled starlet deals with invasive paparazzi and the fallout of a hit-and-run incident.
- Demon 79: Northern England, 1979. A timid sales assistant is told she must commit terrible acts to prevent disaster.
More to Look Forward To in Season Six
The trailer continues with sneak-peek clips from the much-anticipated five-episode season. Other notable cast members include Michael Cera, Rob Delaney, Aaron Paul, Josh Hartnett, Rory Culkin, Kate Mara, Zazie Beetz, and Himesh Patel, among others.